The Australian Business Number (ABN) provides a single identifier when dealing with the tax office or other government departments and agencies. You need an ABN when interacting with the ATO regarding:
* GST (eg to claim GST credits)
* The Diesel and Alternative Fuels Grants Scheme
* Luxury Car Tax
* Wine Equalisation Tax
* Applying for an endorsement as a deductible gift recipient
* Applying for an endorsement as an income tax exempt charity
NOTE: You can also use an ABN to interact with the ATO on the PAYG system and Fringe Benefits Tax.
To qualify for an ABN, you must be a company registered under Corporations Law in Australia or a business entity carrying on an enterprise in Australia. You will need an ABN if:
* Your GST turnover is $75, 000 or more
* You are a nonprofit organisation with a GST turnover of $150, 000 or more
* You need to be endorsed as a gift deductible recipient
* You need to be endorsed as an income tax exempt charity
MORE: See the ABN Essentials section of the ATO website.